There’s one more stop for the final two posts looking at the people aspect of Guest Experience practices from some of the best in the business world.
When it comes to refined service and exquisite hospitality, one name stands high above the rest: The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company. With ceaseless attention to every luxurious detail, the company has set the bar for creating memorable customer experiences in world-class settings.
In 2008, author and business consultant Joseph Michelli was able to obtain the leadership secrets behind the company’s extraordinary success. In The New Gold Standard, Michelli takes an exclusive tour behind the scenes of The Ritz-Carlton and comes away with great reference work for church Guest Experience Teams who want to learn and apply principles of a WOW! Experience to their own practices.
Michelli develops “5 Leadership Principles for Creating a Legendary Customer Experience” that you can explore in the book. Here’s a quick look behind the brass lion that symbolizes excellence at the Ritz:
- The Ritz-Carlton is a place where the genuine care and comfort of our guests is our highest mission
- We pledge to provide the finest personal service and facilities for our guest who will always enjoy a warm, relaxed, yet refined ambiance
- The Ritz-Carlton experience enlivens the senses, instills well-being, and fulfills even the unexpressed wished and needs of our guests
The Three Steps of Service
- A warm and sincere greeting, using the guest’s name
- Anticipation and fulfillment of each guest’s needs
- A fond farewell, giving a warm goodbye, and using the guest’s name
Service Values of Ritz-Carlton Staff
- I build strong relationships and create Ritz-Carlton guests for life
- I am always responsive the expressed and unexpressed wishes and needs of our guests
- I am empowered to create unique, memorable, and personal experiences for our guests
- I understand my role in achieving the Key Success Factors, embracing community footprints, and creating the Ritz-Carlton mystique
- I continually seek opportunities to innovate and improve the Ritz-Carlton experience
- I own and immediately resolve guest problems
- I create a work environment of teamwork and lateral service so that the needs of our guests and each other are met
- I have to opportunity to continuously learn and grow
- I am involved in the planning of the work that affects me
- I am proud of my professional appearance, language, and behavior
- I protect the privacy and security of our guests, my fellow employees, and the company’s confidential information and assets
- I am responsible for uncompromising levels of cleanliness and creating a safe and accident-free environment
Gold standard indeed! These are priceless nuggets of truth that you can mine and put into practice in your Guest Experience team immediately…
Why not start this week?
Day #27 in The 40 Day Guest Experience Journey